The reason why the room was pink was because on black and white film, hues of red become dark shades of black. Pink is the perfect balance to give it that dark creepy grey.
A related fun fact: while old black and white film was under-sensitive to reds, it was correspondingly over-sensitive to greens. Actors whose characters were meant to have unnaturally pale complexions - like Morticia Addams - would often take advantage of this by wearing makeup with a green base tint in order to make their faces “pop”. This is where the modern trope of cartoon vampires having green skin comes from.
These are some fun fucking facts
We’re always looking for baby names that are wonderful but also unusual, and so today’s list compiles 100 great names given to fewer than 100 babies in the U.S. last year. We included names from a range of styles: classic and under-appreciated as …
Posting this for reference!
Serving both as a bride and an artist, Sheika Lateefa gave the company Designlab Events complete freedom to create this spectacular cloud installation for her wedding. The installation, titled Lucid Dream, consists of 15,000 light sticks, 65,000 Swarovski crystals, 4,000 paper cranes, and other materials that swirl overhead in an amazing sky.
Senegal, Mauritania, Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger, Nigeria, Chad, Sudan, Eritrea, Ethiopia, and Djibouti. Those are the countries. It will be drought-resistant species, mostly acacias. And this is a fucking brilliant idea you have no idea oh my Christ
This will create so many jobs and regenerate so many communities and aaaaaahhhhhhh
more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Green_Wall
it’s already happening, and already having positive effects. this is wonderful, why have i not heard of this before? i’m so happy!
Oh yes, acacia trees.
They fix nitrogen and improve soil quality.
And, to make things fun, the species they’re using practices “reverse leaf phenology.” The trees go dormant in the rainy season and then grow their leaves again in the dry season. This means you can plant crops under the trees, in that nitrogen-rich soil, and the trees don’t compete for light because they don’t have any leaves on.
And then in the dry season, you harvest the leaves and feed them to your cows.
Crops grown under acacia trees have better yield than those grown without them. Considerably better.
So, this isn’t just about stopping the advancement of the Sahara - it’s also about improving food security for the entire sub-Saharan belt and possibly reclaiming some of the desert as productive land.
Of course, before the “green revolution,” the farmers knew to plant acacia trees - it’s a traditional practice that they were convinced to abandon in favor of “more reliable” artificial fertilizers (that caused soil degradation, soil erosion, etc).
This is why you listen to the people who, you know, have lived with and on land for centuries.
THIS is an incredible display of human knowledge and ingenuity.
THIS HAD BEEN DRIVING ME NUTS FOR FOREVER.
So there. Now I have figured it out.
People who I suspect have thought about this less than me:
- Peter Jackson
- real geneticists
I love when real science is used to explain shit in fantasy worlds.
when you’re in trouble there are four options:
stay silent and get yelled at for ignoring your parent
apologize and get yelled at for sass (even when it was sincere)
defend yourself and get yelled at for talking back
answer any questions your parent asked you and get yelled at for sass (again even if it’s sincere)
like what am I supposed to do when I get yelled at for literally everything
then get yelled at for crying
Five year-old Isabelle Nixon was given a ride on the shoulders of the Queen’s grandson last night during the closing ceremony of the Invictus Games in London’s Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. Her father, Adam Nixon, captained the United Kingdom’s wheelchair basketball team to Gold.
Prince Harry had given Isabelle a hug earlier in the evening.
Later on she saw him again and ran over to him. He recognised her, picked her up and put her on his shoulders.
I would like one of each of these swimsuits (and dresses and leggings!!!) please and thank you
No okay but have you considered:
- Bucky Barnes always being the caregiver and protector for his siblings, for Steve. Bucky always putting himself between everyone else and the world. Bucky being a metaphorical (and sometimes literal, with Steve getting into fights) wall that no one has ever been able to truly get through.
- Dum Dum Dugan looking out for himself. Dum Dum always taking care of number one - that is, his own ass - because other people are only going to drag you down. Dum Dum who is that guy in the stories, the one who appeared and disappeared in almost the same breath.
- Dum Dum and Bucky meeting at basic. Dum Dum noticing the way that Bucky always goes out of the way to talk to the really homesick guys, who goes back during runs to make sure that everyone gets to the end. Dum Dum starting to notice that there isn’t anyone really returning the favor.
- Bucky suddenly having this mountain of a man badgering him about eating enough and sleeping enough. Bucky having someone who backs him up at almost ever turn. Bucky not knowing what hte hell to do about that.
- Dum Dum learning to give a shit, even two, about another person.
- Bucky learning to let someone actually take care of him for once.
- In the battlefield, before they’re captured, Bucky stepping in front of the other men and Dum Dum trying to step in front of Bucky.
- Bucky giving Dum Dum the name Dum Dum.
- Dum Dum fucking RAGING when they drag Bucky away to Zola’s laboratory. Dum Dum trying to get them to take him instead of Bucky. Dum Dum sitting and staring at a wall and wondering how this happened, how he got stuck with this dumb kid who is too smart for his own good.
- I just
- DUM DUM DUGAN AND BUCKY BARNES.